A stoic plant people who see far into the past, the faetani have existed for millennia, passing their memories to their fellows and offspring as they wander the world. Their innate telepathy, photosynthesis, and sturdy frames allow them to interact with all sorts, and survive many of the encounters. They are aware of their origin: they were engineered by a team of researchers, but were never given any details as to who the researchers were, or what specifically they were trying to achieve.
Tall, stocky, fibrous. Faetani typically stand about 8 feet in height, and weight around 300lb. Their bark can be a variety of colours and textures, though their leaves are almost always dark green, on top of their heads and on their dorsal surfaces. Their limbs move by internal membranes altering water pressure in their limbs, making faetani strong but slow, and without obvious musculature. Their structure is fibrous, so they don’t have bones either.
A faetani’s ‘face’ contains two photoreceptive blackish crystals that are its ‘eyes’, and a puckered, open gash across nearly half of the lower head stands in place of a ‘mouth.’ This hole is actually the auricle for the faetani’s hearing organ.
Faetani are largely solitary creatures. Their lives are spend wandering in (mostly peaceful) contemplation, learning, and the search for novelty. Memories are passed molecularly from parents to child, allowing the faetani to retain an impressive sense of historical events: in a way, they have lived the events they recall from before their birth. Memories are also traded between individual faetani, though they do not often get the chance. When they meet in their wanderings another who has been to very different places and done very different things, then they produce a special acorn containing the memories they have chosen to share. Each takes the other’s gift into their hearing orifice, where it roots into the brain and eventually melds with that organ. Since faetani are innately telepathic, they can quickly share the outlines of their lives and get a feel for what memories each might find interesting.
Unlike other races, the faetani are not fond of living with others of their kind. Perhaps the sharing of memories makes them feel too much alike? Perhaps some engineered imperative makes them spread out farther? They only know the discomfort they feel in spending too long among their own kind, or too long in one place for that matter. For the faetani, familiarity is staleness. That said, they do like to spend enough time in a location to fully understand it, whether that takes days, weeks, or months.
As faetani dislike the long-term company of their own kind, and their population numbers are relatively low, they seldom reproduce. The act of procreation requires time and concentration from both parents: one chooses to produce the seed and the other kindles it. The duo then bury the seed in a hospitable, secluded place and agree to take turns checking on it periodically during its five years of development. After that time, the young faetani is about 4 feet tall and ready to start his own wandering.
Since faetani are relatively rare, not everyone has formed opinions about them. They have little tendency to stereotype other races, instead preferring to judge each individual as unique and worthy of study. The surface races are occasionally uncomfortable with a telepathic tree around, but fair-minded individuals are usually swayed by the faetani’s amiable and calm disposition. Since they recall their creators as fairly human-like, they tend to give some deference to the more human races.
Faetani tend to be calm and methodical, not prone to mood swings or to abusing others. They do not usually favor classes on the more chaotic end (Barbarian, Wilder), and more favor classes where discipline is key, such as Monk or Psion. They also gravitate toward psionic classes that augment their natural telepathy, such as Telepath, Tactician, or even Dread.
Faetani do not have any set naming conventions. Some will name themselves after old or existing tree types, while others might prefer a descriptive word or phrase based on the color of their bark or eye crystals.
- +2 Strength, +2 Wisdom, -2 Dexterity. The nature of the faetani’s movement and large bodies makes them strong, but slow and clumsy, while their minds benefit from the wisdom of their racial eidetic memory.
- Medium: Faetani are Medium creatures and have no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
- Base Speed: Slow (20ft)
- Type: Humanoid with plant subtype
- Bark: Faetani gain +2 natural armor due to their tough bark exterior.
- Faetani Senses: Faetani do not have a sense of smell, and their sense of touch is limited. Their vision is excellent (low-light vision) and their hearing is actually more sensitive than normal human range (+2 racial bonus to perception checks for listening), allowing faetani to ‘hear’ some things that humans normally only feel (subsonic vibrations). This excellent hearing helps compensate a good bit for their crude touch sense.
- Faetani Subsistence: Faetani photosynthesize their sustenance and cannot eat, though they can ‘drink’ at any time through their roots on either their hands or feet. Faetani need to spend normal time sleeping, during which they prefer to root into good soil with their feet and extract water and nutrients.
- Heat Weakness: Unnaturally strong heat or dessication is extremely detrimental to faetani. Any Fortitude saves against such effects (fire, heat, drying) are at -2.
- Naturally Psionic: Faetani receive Wild Talent as a bonus feat at 1st level. If a faetani takes levels in a psionic class, he instead gains the Psionic Talent feat.
- Faetani Psionics: Faetani gain the psi-like ability. Mindlink, at will. The manifester level is equal to 1/2 Hit Dice (minimum ML 1). This psi-like ability can be augmented as per the power, but only to affect additional willing targets. This allows faetani to communicate with others, regardless of language. Since faetani do not have voices, this is their primary means of communicating with others. If a faetani chooses a psionic class, they may select Mindlink in place of one of their normal first level powers.
- Eidetic memory (Ex): Faetani gain a +2 racial bonus to all Knowledge skills. Additionally, once per day a faetani can reroll a failed Knowledge skill check.
- Psionic Aptitude: When a faetani takes a level in a favored class, he can choose to gain an additional power point instead of a hit point or skill point.
- Languages: While Faetani cannot speak, they all understand spoken Espo.